the Academy howitzer is a notch below the Italeri kit. The
slide-molded barrel and recuperator eliminate the long seams common to Italeri's
two-part assemblies. But both have numerous pin marks on the sleigh and arc assemblies.
Some of these can be filled in easily, some not. There's a bit of a flare along
the edges of the outer faces of the shield sections that can use some attention
from the sanding stick. The shields need a pair of bolts added to their tops for
the connection of the support arms. The
seam on the rear trough of the cradle and on the breech plate need to be covered;
Eduard supplies a part for this, but thin plastic can work as well.
and later Priests had metal clips near each corner of the top and bottom of the
cradle end cap. This feature is missing on the Academy and Italeri cradles. I
made the clips with with bits of lead foil.
equilibrator beneath the cradle is a poor representation, with a couple of nasty
pin marks in the sides of the spring that are virtually impossible to repair.
The two rods on the top side are presented as a solid flat plate. I used the trusty
Dremel and X-acto to open the area and shape the rods. The photos shows the Italeri
part on the left and the Academy version on the right. They share the identical
problem and were cleaned up in the same manner.
three handwheels that operate the movement of the howitzer have stunted knobs
and I replaced them with plastic stock.
top surface of the breech ring required some putty and the addition of the breechblock
operating lever pivot. The trigger shaft can be added to the outer face of the
gun sight shows an unusual configuration, perhaps very early, British, or Israeli?
There is some type of scope laid horizontally across the top of the sight for
which I could not find a reference. For
the "Baboon" Priest, I modified the parts to show the M12A2 panoramic
telescope has been removed and stowed by hollowing out the empty socket on the
Mount M21. This would be typical for a Priest on the road.
Academy kit accepts the Italeri howitzer, if you wish. If you don't want to buy
an entire Italeri Priest, you might try to track down the 105mm M1 kit. For my
Sicily Priest, I used a spare Italeri howitzer and built it in action with the
breech opened, as seen below. The Tankograd book provided the detailing guidance
for the breechblock and lever. It's posible to do the same detailing with Academy
kit. The breech ring below has the Eduard plate on top.
and Lower Hull
Upper Hull Exterior
Assembly, Painting, and Weathering