Vehicles and Gun
the amount of work that had to be done on the diorama, I was more than happy to
use AFV models that required little additional detailing. Because no major work
was necessary on any of the kits beyond the Opel Blitz, I did not shoot any in-progress
photos. (And I didn't happen to get many good separate shots of them in the completed
diorama this time around....)
Sherman is excellent Tamiya's M4. I used this photo from After the Battle
issue on Aachen as guidance, even to the point of omitting the towing hitch on
the rear plate. I did employ Eduard's Sherman M4A3 photoetch set to fine tune
the accuracy of the kit, and added brass wire from which backpacks were slung.
all the pictures I could find that were taken during the actual battle, there
weren't any discernible markings on the Sherman tanks of the 745th Tank Battalion
attached to the 1st Infantry Division.
is Italeri's anti-tank gun, which is more accurately detailed than Tamiya's version.
Nothing special was done with this kit, and it sports a standard camouflage scheme.
I'd intended to replace the shields and other parts with Eduard photoetch, but
ran out of time (the diorama was completed just hours before the Twin Cities Nordic
Con show). With all of the other detail put into the diorama, I don't think the
lack of the Eduard pieces made much difference.
again is Italeri's kit, which I'd built years ago for a Falaise Gap diorama that
was stillborn. It's as challenged to "deconstruct" a kit to create a
burned-out wreck as it is to build a pristine vehicle. I made a newly charred
flatbed frame from plastic and brass strips. The fenders and roof of the cab were
softened over a flame and bent. Wiring was added to the engine and burned seat
in the cab. One aspect that makes this kit attractive for this type of demolition
is that the tires are separate rubber pieces, rather than plastic molded onto
the wheels. Simply leaving the tires off makes it very to create the realistic
aftereffects of a vehicle fire.
kit was sprayed flat black, then given oversprays of several shades of rust before
a final drybrushing of burnt metal was applied.
lost amid the rubble, the abandoned motorcycle laying against the curb in front
of the bakery is a late addition to the diorama. It was just released by Tamiya
and I thought another substantial piece of German equipment was called for in
the project. This is a fine little kit that just took a couple hours to build
and paint. The only addition was wiring for the brakes and clutch.
The Battle for Aachen
of the Diorama